Sunday, September 2, 2012

Googling yourself and using people.

Wow it's been a few months but I thought i would update the old blog. If you follow this (3 people) you can thank me for not clogging up your notifications.
The reason I am posting today is because I googled my name this morning. It's a weird thing to do. I try to look at the findings with fresh eyes, as someone who knows nothing about me. For the most part if you look for me you have to first decide which Aaron Hauck - Artist I am. There is another with the aaronhauck.com website (sonofabitch) and now a new ahauck (alberto) with a ahauck.com.ar No kidding, way to fuck that up guys. Actually the OK Aaron Hauck is quite successful in OK and Montana, has a Masters degree and teaches, so really he probably doesn't want to be confused with some lowbrow picture maker like me. The thing is his name isn't actually Aaron Hauck, I believe it's Brian Hauck, but obviously Aaron Hauck is much more dynamic and flashy. Whatever dude, when we meet for the doppleganger showdown only one of us will walk away. You may want to google aaron hauck muay thai before you decide. I actually don't care because our art is completely different and you can tell right away that if you're looking for paintings, you have the wrong one.
which brings us to ahauck.com.ar motherfucker! that is my website except he just added .ar  and he makes paintings. I encourage all three of you to go check out his website, an awesome experience all around. His website is multilingual! I say to his website, we're in America speak American! It has beautiful guitar! I will be adding my own guitar to my website this week. It scrolls through four or five of his most beautiful paintings! This is beyond my limited technical abilities so just use the scroll button when you visit mine. I hate him and his South American accent. Anyway back to my main point, I guess you have to be vigilant in promoting yourself on-line (hence this blog post) otherwise people will steal your name, be better than you and/or more exotic and you will constantly be saying to people. "No I am the other Aaron Hauck, the untalented, whitebread boring, American one."

So here is some news, Aaron McDonald who owns PlatformLES Gallery asked me a few weeks ago to put a drawing in a group show. He did this because Sam (my much more successful girlfriend) is showing there soon. There is an industry term for this, no not nepotism, that doesn't apply, if I was related to Aaron it would. No I am referring to "throwing a bone" I also had a relative do this a while ago. They wanted one of Sam's prints so they bought one from both of us. I am sure mine is proudly displayed in their home, on the inside of the guest bathroom door. Whatever,  I ain't too proud to beg. I take what I can get. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Etc. You understand, right? Whatever gets your foot in the door. No I kid, I think Aaron actually liked my drawing. It was an older one but I will post a pic.
So I've always thought that when you approach a gallery and they really want you to be established and have sold work and bring in clients of your own, that it should actually be the other way around. The artist should ask the gallery owner how good they are at selling work, do their artists rely on other income sources, etc. But you know a perfect world and all.
Anyway Sam is mad that I am writing this and I am sure a backlash from all three of my followers will ensue.
Whatever, I think we all know how things work. My point being I don't mind a little coattail riding, Sam just hates me saying what we all know it is. Anyway Aaron McDonald is a good gallery owner because he sold my drawing yesterday. Though I did ask Sam if she bought it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a dork! I bought your print because I LOVE your print. Not because I wanted one from Sam and didn't want you to feel hurt. They are both proudly displayed on walls near each other, as they compliment (complement?) each other. What you need to do for me is put up more stuff on etsy so that I can buy more of it because I LOVE YOUR WORK!

You talented dork!

xox Kathy, the Aunt who does not throw bones and only buys what she likes!

Unknown said...

p.s. You have 9 subscribers through Google Reader. Way more than 3!

samantha French said...

I wasn't talking about you but since you thought i was hmmmm?

Unknown said...

The world revolves around me, how were you not talking about me?! ;O)