Thursday, October 23, 2014

Monday

Hello there. 
So I worked on some paintings tonight. I did some drawing for Sam on a commission (no pics, since it's not mine) and then worked on my color study/self portrait. Changes from realistic to colors that push/pull and back again. A few hours and I left it.
So the next few posts are going to be for people who maybe aren't artists. I had some stretchers built a few weeks ago. I had them professionally made because I lack a wood shop and I need a specific size. Two long stretchers. 
I had an idea for a painting based on the way we see different perspectives based on our viewpoint. Turning our head changes vanishing points of perspective. How can you show this? Panoramic paintings is my initial idea. Really wide ratio.
So I have an idea. I make some pencil sketches. Now comes the gamble. I haven't made a painting like this but I want to make it large. The canvas' re expensive, whether or not I build them myself or I have a pro shop make them. A couple hundred dollars gamble on canvas. But I really believe it will look really interesting. Maybe a new direction for me. But I am apprehensive so I make a few studies with gouache. Some work, some don't. But I have the canvas, so now the next few days I prep them. Applying coats of gesso. Shooting for 3-5 coats. Sanding. I hate sandpaper, it gives me the "willies" but I have to do it.
So I hope this helps you understand the initial back and forth you go through in the process. Idea, preparation, self-doubt. I haven't made paintings like this so I am worried I spent money and a LOT of time prepping and painting something that I (and everyone else) may hate. But it can be very rewarding. Let's hope so.

No comments: