Sunday, November 16, 2014

Back again

Alright. Back at it. I've been really busy lately trying to get my paintings spread throughout the internet. It takes a surprising amount of time to keep all of these sites up to date, plus new ones that aren't huge but every little bit helps. 
Tonight I will just show a few things I have been working on.
I have stayed away from pools and bathers, even beach scenes because Sam is so attached to them. But I do want to start using multi-layered imagery and had some drawings from this summer put together. I like the initial stages of this but want it clear that these are multiple angles/images which means painting out things that are solid and or successful in technique but not serving the greater image. We'll see how it comes along. 
So I think this has been on the blog before but I have been not painting on it and just looking at it. It helps though I know it sounds like ignoring a problem painting, it's not. I turned some heads around and tried a few things but finally came to the conclusion that the figure that was right in the center had to go. It made a huge difference! I know it looks rough in the seam area right now but it turned a corner in my mind once the figure was out. Opened up the space and let's some background in. I really need to solidify the objects on the table but it's going to need to dry a bit. 
Sorry for all the background stimuli but I just want to get some things down tonight. I have been revisiting some cityscapes lately to loosen them up a bit and this idea came out of reworking other paintings. A remembered landscape from flying into Minnesota. Without a strict reference I want to let color dictate area and possibly move from representational to more abstract painting. If not completely abstract enough to let me relax the rigidity I see in my own paintings.
That's it for tonight. I may be busting out my new favorite painting tool tomorrow - my electric sander. I absolutely love grinding areas of my paintings out with it.


No comments: